I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Hydrocortisone (Topical)||0 people have prescribed Hydrocortisone (Topical)|
(hye droe KOR ti sone)
U.S. Brand Names
Anucort-HC®; Anusol-HC®; Anusol® HC-1 [OTC]; Aquanil™ HC [OTC]; Beta-HC®; Caldecort® [OTC]; Cetacort® [DSC]; Colocort®; Cortaid® Intensive Therapy [OTC]; Cortaid® Maximum Strength [OTC]; Cortaid® Sensitive Skin [OTC]; Cortenema®; Corticool® [OTC]; Cortifoam®; Cortizone-10® Maximum Strength Cooling Relief [OTC]; Cortizone-10® Maximum Strength Easy Relief [OTC]; Cortizone-10® Maximum Strength Intensive Healing Formula [OTC]; Cortizone-10® Maximum Strength [OTC]; Cortizone-10® Plus Maximum Strength [OTC]; Cortizone-10® Quick Shot [OTC] [DSC]; Dermarest Dricort® [OTC]; Dermtex® HC [OTC]; Encort™; Hemril®-30; HYDRO-Rx; HydroZone Plus [OTC]; Hytone® [DSC]; IvySoothe® [OTC]; Locoid Lipocream®; Locoid®; Nupercainal® Hydrocortisone Cream [OTC]; Nutracort®; Pandel®; Post Peel Healing Balm [OTC]; Preparation H® Hydrocortisone [OTC]; Procto-Kit™; Procto-Pak™; Proctocort®; ProctoCream® HC; Proctosert; Proctosol-HC®; Proctozone-HC™; Sarnol®-HC [OTC]; Summer's Eve® SpecialCare™ Medicated Anti-Itch Cream [OTC] [DSC]; Texacort®; Tucks® Anti-Itch [OTC]; Westcort®
Canadian Brand Names
Aquacort®; Cortamed®; Cortenema®; Cortifoam™; Emo-Cort®; Hycort™; Hyderm; HydroVal®; Locoid®; Prevex® HC; Sarna® HC; Westcort®
Corticosteroid, Rectal; Corticosteroid, Topical
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with many medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to hydrocortisone or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have a severe infection.
How does it work?
• Hydrocortisone replaces an important chemical produced in the body.
• It prevents or reduces irritation and swelling.
How is it best taken?
• Use suppository, rectal cream, foam, or rectal suspension rectally.
• Take foil off rectal suppository and insert pointed end first. Do not handle too much.
• Do not take this medicine by mouth. For skin only. Keep out of mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
• Wash hands before and after use.
• Clean affected area before use. Make sure to dry well.
• Apply a thin layer to the affected skin and rub in gently.
• If applied to the groin area, use a small amount. Do not wear tight clothing.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Use a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not use a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2009-11-04 20:10:50.0
Modified: 2010-03-25 14:05:06.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.