I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Hydroxymethyl Butyrate (HMB)||0 people have prescribed Hydroxymethyl Butyrate (HMB)|
According to some but not all of the small double-blind trials performed thus far, HMB may improve response to weight training. 1 One small double-blind, placebo-controlled trial found hints that HMB might help prevent muscle damage during prolonged exercise, thereby potentially enhancing recovery during athletic training ; 2 however, a follow-up study failed to find this benefit. 3 A very small study found evidence that HMB might improve aerobic exercise capacity. 4 Very weak evidence suggests that HMB might improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels. 5
- Ostaszewski P, Kostiuk S, Balasinska B, et al. The effect of leucine metabolite 3-hydroxy-3-methylbutyrate (HMB) on muscle protein synthesis and protein breakdown in chick and rat muscle [abstract]. J Anim Sci. 1996;74(suppl 1):138.
- Knitter AE, Panton L, Rathmacher JA, Petersen A, Sharp R. Effects of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate on muscle damage after a prolonged run. J Appl Physiol. 89(4):1340-4.
- Hoffman JR, Cooper J, Wendell M, Im J, Kang J. Effects of beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate on power performance and indices of muscle damage and stress during high-intensity training. J Strength Cond Res. 18(4):747-52.
- Lamboley CR, Royer D, Dionne IJ. Effects of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate on aerobic-performance components and body composition in college students. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 17(1):56-69.
- Nissen S, Sharp RL, Panton L, Vukovich M, Trappe S, Fuller JC Jr. beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation in humans is safe and may decrease cardiovascular risk factors. J Nutr. 130(8):1937-45.