A number of herbs and botanicals may help prevent and treat hypertension.
The following herbs and botanicals are sometimes recommended for hypertension and have been studied for this purpose:
- Achillea wilhelmsi
- Terminalia arjuna (arjun)
- Green coffee bean extract
Other herbs and botanicals that are sometimes recommended for hypertension, but which haven't been studied much for this purpose, include:
- Coleus forskohlii
- Chinese skullcap
- Olive leaf
- Eclipta alba (an Ayurvedic herb, also known as Bhringraja or Keshraja)109
- Black tea (theanine)122
- Salvia hispanica (also known as salba, or chia)114
Although homeopathic remedies are not herbs per se, they are another category of gentle alternatives that might be effective for treating hypertension.Treatments include:
Effect of Stevia on Hypertension
It appears that stevia lowers blood pressure by mechanisms similar to those of calcium channel blockers such as verapamil (Calan SR).9
Read more about Hypertension and Stevia.
Effect of Glucomannan on Hypertension
There are a number of ways that fiber such as glucomannan may help lower blood pressure, and the exact actions are not yet clear.
Read more about Hypertension and Glucomannan.
Effect of Achillea wilhelmsii on Hypertension
Achillea wilhelmsii is known to be a rich source of flavonoids and sesquiterpene lactones, which may explain its therapeutic effects on blood pressure and serum lipids (cholesterol and...
Read more about Hypertension and Achillea wilhelmsii.
Effect of Arjun on Hypertension
Arjun probably helps reduce blood pressure by relaxing (dilating) blood vessels.
Abana, the Ayurvedic formula that contains arjun, is believed to help the heart work more effectively (reduced...
Read more about Hypertension and Arjun.
Effect of Green Coffee Bean Extract on Hypertension
Recent studies suggest that Green Coffee Bean Extract may have a multitude of health benefits, mainly in dealing with health challenges that stem from oxidative stress (such as heart disease or...
Read more about Hypertension and Green Coffee Bean Extract.
Effect of Garlic on Hypertension
Garlic may help treat high blood pressure by, among other things, acting as a blood thinner.
Read more about Hypertension and Garlic.
Effect of Cinnamon on Hypertension
Cinnamon has shown some potential to lower blood pressure and high cholesterol, and help control glucose levels in the blood. How it does this is not yet fully understood.
Read more about Hypertension and Cinnamon.
Effect of Homeopathy on Hypertension
Homeopathic remedies do not work in a direct or obvious way. Homeopathic theory has some relationship to ancient healing traditions, but in many ways stands uniquely on its own ground, unrelated to...
Read more about Hypertension and Homeopathy.
- Schulz V, Hansel R, Tyler VE. Rational Phytotherapy: A Physicians' Guide to Herbal Medicine 3rd ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 1998:97.
- Ammon HPT, Handel M. Crataegus, toxicology and pharmacology. Parts I, II and III [translated from German]. Planta Med. 1981;43:105-120,209-239,313-322.
- Walker AF, Marakis G, Simpson E, et al. Hypotensive effects of hawthorn for patients with diabetes taking prescription drugs: a randomised controlled trial. Br J Gen Pract. 2006;56:437-443.
- Asgary S, Naderi GH, Sadeghi M, et al. Antihypertensive effect of Iranian Crataegus curvisepala Lind.: a randomized, double-blind study. Drugs Exp Clin Res. 2005;30:221-225.
- Rangineni V, Sharada D, Saxena S. Diuretic, hypotensive, and hypocholesterolemic effects of Eclipta alba in mild hypertensive subjects: a pilot study. J Med Food. 2007;10:143-148.
- Vuksan V, Whitham D, Sievenpiper JL, et al. Supplementation of conventional therapy with the novel grain salba ( Salvia hispanica L.) improves major and emerging cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: results of a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care. 2007 Aug 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rogers PJ, Smith JE, Heatherley SV, et al. Time for tea: mood, blood pressure and cognitive performance effects of caffeine and theanine administered alone and together. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007 Sep 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Click Here to See All 34 Treatments for Hypertension
FoundHealth has 34 treatments for Hypertension!
See all Hypertension Treatment options and start building your care plan today.
My mom was suffering from Type 2 diabetes and Lupus for over 17yrs. She tried many drugs but at last became dependent on saferoom and metformin due to the weakness and constant pains, She found that life was just sinking & there was no way of hope. Then she consulted Chief Dr Lucky for herbal treatments, Which she had been hearing so much about, After some couple of days taking this herbal medicine, Things started to change, The symptoms started to decrease and after 19 days of taking it, She became healthy and fully free from all the symptoms of Type 2 diabetes and Lupus. My mom's life is totally different now. That's why I decided to let everybody know about the wonderful healing of Chief Dr Lucky herbal, If you are having any health challenges kindly visit email email@example.com or WhatsApp +2348132777335 Facebook page http://facebook.com/chiefdrlucky Website https://chiefdrlucky.com/.