I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Interferon Beta-1a||0 people have prescribed Interferon Beta-1a|
(in ter FEER on BAY ta won aye)
U.S. Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Mexican Brand Names
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• Please read the medication guide.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to interferon beta-1a or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have a latex allergy, talk with healthcare provider.
• If you are breast-feeding.
How does it work?
• Interferon beta-1a helps the body's immune system fight multiple sclerosis.
• It may decrease the number of attacks and the disabilities.
How is it best taken?
• This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle once a week.
• Take this medicine at bedtime to help with flu-like symptoms.
• Wash hands before and after use.
• Follow instructions closely if you or a family member are giving the shot at home.
• Throw away needles in needle/sharp disposal box and return box to healthcare provider when full.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose, brand, or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood work regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store unopened vials in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
• You may store unopened Avonex® vials at room temperature. Throw away after 1 month.
• Protect from heat.
• Protect Rebif® from light.
• Throw away any unused portion of opened vial after use.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2005-04-07 16:50:37.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:28:53.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.