1 person has experienced Mesoglycan. Have you?
I'm a professional and
|1 person has tried Mesoglycan||0 people have prescribed Mesoglycan|
Most proposed uses of mesoglycan involve diseases of blood vessels. For example, evidence suggests that mesoglycan may slow the development of hardening of the arteries , perhaps by lowering cholesterol levels , "thinning" the blood, or through other effects. 1 People with severe hardening of the arteries sometimes develop blockage in the arteries of the legs, a condition called intermittent claudication . This condition limits the ability to walk by causing intense, crampy pain after walking a relatively short distance. There is some evidence that mesoglycan may help. 2 The conditions just discussed involve arteries. Mesoglycan may also be useful for various diseases of the veins, including varicose veins/venous insufficiency , hemorrhoids , and phlebitis . 3 One study suggests that a substance related to mesoglycan, hyaluronic acid, might be helpful for asthma when taken by inhalation. 4
Warning: Do not self-treat phlebitis. It is a potentially deadly disease.
Preliminary evidence suggests mesoglycan may additionally be useful in treating kidney stones . 5 The substance chondroitin is used for the treatment of osteoarthritis . Based on the chemical similarities between chondroitin and mesoglycan, researchers conducted a large (almost 400 participant) 5-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of injected mesoglycan for slowing the progression of osteoarthritis. 6 Unfortunately, no benefits were seen.
- Laurora G, Cesarone MR, Belcaro G, et al. Control of the progress of arteriosclerosis in high risk subjects treated with mesoglycan. Measuring the intima media [translated from Italian]. Minerva Cardioangiol. 1998;46:41–47.
- Nenci GG, Gresele P, Ferrari G, Santoro L, Gianese F, Mesoglycan Intermittent Claudication Group. Treatment of intermittent claudication with mesoglycan--a placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Thromb Haemost. 86(5):1181-7.
- Petruzzellis V, Velon A. Therapeutic action of oral mesoglycan in the pharmacologic treatment of the varicose syndrome and its complications [in Italian; English abstract]. Minerva Med. 1985;76:543–548.
- Petrigni G, Allegra L. Aerosolised hyaluronic acid prevents exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, suggesting novel hypotheses on the correction of matrix defects in asthma. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2006 Jan 3 [Epub ahead of print]
- Baggio B, Gambaro G, Marchini F, Marzaro G, Williams HE, Borsatti A. Correction of erythrocyte abnormalities in idiopathic calcium-oxalate nephrolithiasis and reduction of urinary oxalate by oral glycosaminoglycans. Lancet. 338(8764):403-5.
- Pavelka K, Gatterova J, Gollerova V, et al. A 5-year randomized controlled, double-blind study of glycosaminoglycan polysulphuric acid complex (Rumalon®) as a structure modifying therapy in osteoarthritis of the hip and knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000;8:335–342.