I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Metronidazole (Systemic)||0 people have prescribed Metronidazole (Systemic)|
What are the precautions when taking this medicine?
• If you have a blood disease, talk with healthcare provider.
• If you have liver disease, talk with healthcare provider.
• If you have seizures, talk with healthcare provider.
• Check medicines with healthcare provider. This medicine may not mix well with other medicines.
• Avoid alcohol (includes wine, beer, and liquor). Do not take alcohol for at least 24 hours after the last dose. Drinking alcohol or alcohol containing products such as cough syrup may cause cramps, nausea, headaches, and flushing.
• Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work to prevent pregnancy. Use another form of birth control while taking this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant.
What are some possible side effects of this medicine?
• Nausea or vomiting. Small frequent meals, frequent mouth care, sucking hard, sugar-free candy, or chewing sugar-free gum may help.
• Diarrhea. Yogurt, Bifidobacterium bifidum, or Lactobacillus acidophilusmay help. These products are available at health food stores or in some pharmacies.
• Not hungry.
• Abnormal taste. This is usually reversible.
• Change in color of urine to black or brown.
Reasons to call healthcare provider immediately
• If you suspect an overdose, call your local poison control center or emergency department immediately.
• Signs of a life-threatening reaction. These include wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; fits; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
• Severe dizziness.
• Severe headache.
• Difficulty speaking.
• Severe diarrhea, even after medicine is stopped.
• Numbness or tingling of hands or feet.
• Any rash.
• No improvement in condition or feeling worse.