I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Nonoxynol 9||0 people have prescribed Nonoxynol 9|
(non OKS i nole nine)
U.S. Brand Names
Advantage-S® [OTC]; Conceptrol® [OTC]; Delfen® [OTC]; Encare® [OTC]; Gynol II® Extra Strength [OTC] ; Gynol II® [OTC]; Today® [OTC]; VCF™ [OTC]
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not protect against sexually-transmitted diseases.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to nonoxynol 9 or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you or your partner has HIV infection.
• Today® Sponge: If you have any of the following conditions: Given birth or had an abortion less than 6 weeks ago, menstruating, sulfite allergy, or toxic shock syndrome.
How does it work?
• Nonoxynol 9 injures sperm causing their death.
How is it best taken?
• Follow directions given by healthcare provider or read the package insert.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• This medicine is used on an as needed basis.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
• Read the package insert for more details.
Created: 2005-04-07 17:04:21.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:18:19.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.