I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Omeprazole||0 people have prescribed Omeprazole|
(oh MEP ra zole)
U.S. Brand Names
Prilosec OTC™ [OTC]; Prilosec®
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Omeprazole®; Losec MUPS®; Losec®; Mylan-Omeprazole; PMS-Omeprazole; PMS-Omeprazole DR; ratio-Omeprazole; Sandoz-Omeprazole
Mexican Brand Names
Aleprozil; Azoran; Domer; Inhibitron; Losec; Mopral; Olexin; Prazidec; Suifac; Ulsen; Vulcasid
Proton Pump Inhibitor; Substituted Benzimidazole
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to omeprazole or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
How does it work?
• Omeprazole prevents symptoms and damage to the gastrointestinal tract caused by stomach acid or infection.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine 1 hour before the first meal of the day.
Tablet (Prilosec OTC™):
• Swallow tablet whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• Do not use for more than 14 days. Talk with your healthcare provider.
• Swallow capsule whole. Do not chew or crush.
• You may sprinkle contents of capsule on soft food or liquid. Do not chew.
• For patients who have feeding tubes, open capsule and mix with 3 tablespoonfuls of apple juice. Give through feeding tube. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
• Mix the 2.5 mgpacket contents with 1 teaspoon of water or the 10 mgpacket contents with 1 tablespoon of water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes, stir, and drink. Rinse with more water and drink.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect capsules from light.
• Protect capsules and tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 14:42:21.0
Modified: 2010-06-01 12:00:55.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.