I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Oseltamivir||0 people have prescribed Oseltamivir|
(oh sel TAM i vir)
U.S. Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Mexican Brand Names
Antiviral Agent; Neuraminidase Inhibitor
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to oseltamivir or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
How does it work?
• Oseltamivir works to injure the virus and fight the infection.
How is it best taken?
• To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
• Use prescription as directed, even if feeling better.
• This medicine should be started within 2 days of flu symptoms (fever, cough, headache, feeling tired, muscular weakness, sore throat).
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Drink plenty of noncaffeine-containing liquid unless told to drink less liquid by healthcare provider.
• A liquid (suspension) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Shake well before use.
• Only use the measuring device that comes with the liquid medicine.
• Directions for the liquid product should be given in milligram (mg) amounts. The measuring device that comes with the liquid is also in milligram amounts. Read label carefully and call healthcare provider if the directions do not match the measuring device amounts.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
How should I store this medicine?
• Store capsules at room temperature.
• Protect capsules from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Store liquid (suspension) in a refrigerator. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused portion after 10 days.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 14:45:45.0
Modified: 2010-04-23 10:08:42.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.