I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Oxymetazoline||0 people have prescribed Oxymetazoline|
(oks i met AZ oh leen)
U.S. Brand Names
4-Way® 12 Hour [OTC]; Afrin® Extra Moisturizing [OTC]; Afrin® Original [OTC]; Afrin® Severe Congestion [OTC]; Afrin® Sinus [OTC]; Dristan™ 12-Hour [OTC]; Duramist® Plus [OTC]; Genasal [OTC]; Mucinex® Full force™ [OTC] [DSC]; Mucinex® moisture smart™ [OTC] [DSC]; Neo-Synephrine® 12 Hour Extra Moisturizing [OTC]; Neo-Synephrine® 12 Hour [OTC]; NRS® [OTC]; N?strilla® [OTC]; Vicks Sinex® 12 Hour Ultrafine Mist [OTC]; Vicks Sinex® 12 Hour [OTC]; Vicks® Early Defense™ [OTC]; Visine® L.R. [OTC]
Canadian Brand Names
Claritin® Allergic Decongestant; Dristan® Long Lasting Nasal; Drixoral® Nasal
Mexican Brand Names
Afrin; Collifrin; Iliadin; Oximetazolina; Oxylin Liquifilm; Visine A. D.
Adrenergic Agonist Agent; Imidazoline Derivative; Vasoconstrictor
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with many medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to oxymetazoline or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have taken isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine in the last 14 days. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine) must be stopped 14 days before this medicine is started. Taking the two together could cause dangerously high blood pressure.
How does it work?
• Oxymetazoline shrinks swollen nasal tissue and opens up passages.
• It shrinks blood vessels in the eye.
How is it best taken?
• Do not take this medicine by mouth. For the nose only. Keep out of mouth and eyes (may burn).
• Blow your nose before use.
• Do not use for more than 3 days in a row.
• For the eye only.
• Take out contact lenses before using medicine. Lenses can be replaced 15 minutes after medicine is given. Do not put contacts back in if eyes are irritated or infected.
• Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
• Tilt head back and drop medicine into eye.
• After using medicine, keep your eyes closed. Apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 3-5 minutes. This keeps the medicine in your eye.
• Separate each eye medicine by 5 minutes.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Use a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not use a double dose or extra doses.
• Many times this medicine is used on an as needed basis.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2005-04-07 17:06:27.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:23:49.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.