I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Permethrin||0 people have prescribed Permethrin|
(per METH rin)
U.S. Brand Names
A200® Lice [OTC]; Acticin®; Elimite®; Nix® [OTC]; Rid® Spray [OTC]
Canadian Brand Names
Mexican Brand Names
Nastizol EX; Novo-Herklin 2000; Scabisan
Antiparasitic Agent, Topical; Scabicidal Agent
Reasons not to take this medicine
• Do not use the lotion on infants less than 2 months of age.
• If you have an allergy to permethrin, chrysanthemums, or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
How does it work?
• Permethrin injures the insects and treats the infection.
How is it best taken?
• Follow instructions for use carefully.
• Do not use on people or animals. • For use on non-washable items only.
• Spray on infested area and let dry completely.
• Vacuum rugs and carpets. Throw away vacuum cleaner bags after use.
All other forms:
• Follow directions given by healthcare provider. Do not give more than the maximum recommended daily dose.
• Do not take this medicine by mouth. For skin only. Keep out of mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
• Wash hands before and after use.
• Clean affected area before use. Make sure to dry well.
• Wash all bedding, towels, and recently worn clothes in hot water or have them dry cleaned.
• Apply a thin layer to the skin from the neck to the toes. Apply in the skin folds, creases, and spaces between the fingers and toes.
• Apply under fingernails.
• Trim fingernails short.
• Apply cream under nails with the aid of a toothbrush. Throw away toothbrush after use.
• Wear light clothing while medicine is on skin.
• Do not let your skin come in contact with anyone else's skin while wearing the cream.
• After 8-14 hours, completely wash cream from skin using warm, soapy water.
Cream rinse and lotion:
• Shampoo hair, rinse, and towel dry before use. Use a shampoo without a conditioner.
• Shake well before use.
• Apply just enough to lightly coat hair and scalp.
• Work into hair and scalp gently.
• Leave on for 10 minutes.
• Leave head uncovered while cream rinse or lotion is on hair.
• After 10 minutes, apply a small amount of warm water to hair and lather.
• Rinse completely.
• Wash hands after use.
• Dry with a towel.
• Use special nit comb or tweezers to remove dead nits (lice eggs) from hair.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Do not apply a double dose or extra doses.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature. Throw away any unused portion after use.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
• Read the package insert for more details.
Created: 2005-04-07 17:08:53.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:27:30.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.