You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor or doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with psoriasis. By talking openly and regularly with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
General Tips for Gathering Information
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor
About Your Risk of Developing Psoriasis
- Based on my medical history and family background, am I at risk for psoriasis?
- Do any of the medications I currently use put me at risk for developing or worsening psoriasis?
About Treatment Options
- What is the best treatment for my type of psoriasis?
- What medications are available to help me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements that I am already taking for other conditions?
- Are there any long-term health risks associated with my psoriasis medications?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
About Lifestyle Changes
- According to the type of psoriasis I have and the medications I use, should I limit or increase my exposure to sunlight?
- Do certain foods affect psoriasis?
- How can I decrease my susceptibility to outbreaks of psoriasis?
About Your Outlook
- Will my psoriasis recur? If so, how often?
- Are there any new developments in psoriasis research that are relevant to my condition?
American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at:
National Psoriasis Foundation website. Available at:
FoundHealth has 20 treatments for Psoriasis!
See all Psoriasis Treatment options and start building your care plan today.