I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Risperidone||0 people have prescribed Risperidone|
(ris PER i done)
U.S. Brand Names
Risperdal®; Risperdal® Consta®; Risperdal® M-Tab®
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Risperidone®; CO Risperidone; Dom-Risperidone; Gen-Risperidone; Mylan-Risperidone; Novo-Risperidone; PHL-Risperidone; PMS-Risperidone ODT; PRO-Risperidone; RAN™-Risperidone; ratio-Risperidone; Risperdal®; Risperdal® Consta®; Risperdal® M-Tab®; Riva-Risperidone; Sandoz-Risperidone; ZYM-Risperidone
Mexican Brand Names
Antimanic Agent; Antipsychotic Agent, Atypical
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• There is an increased chance of death in elderly people who take this medicine for dementia.
• This medicine does not mix well with many medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to risperidone or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you are breast-feeding.
How does it work?
• Risperidone helps clear your thinking.
• It works on improving social interactions, mood, expression of mood, as well as, delusions, paranoia, and appearance.
• It is a mood stabilizer.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Oral-disintegrating tablet:Do not push tablet through foil when opening. Use dry hands to remove from foil. Place on tongue and let dissolve. Water is not needed. Do not swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• Drink plenty of noncaffeine-containing liquid unless told to drink less liquid by healthcare provider.
• A liquid (solution) is available if you cannot swallow pills.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
• Liquid may be mixed with 1/2 cup of water, lowfat milk, or orange juice.
• This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood sugar as directed by healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Do not freeze liquid.
• Protect from light.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Use oral-disintegrating tablet right after opening. Throw away any unused portion of opened pouch.
• This medicine will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 15:33:52.0
Modified: 2010-03-22 11:19:37.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.