I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Sulfur and Sulfacetamide||0 people have prescribed Sulfur and Sulfacetamide|
(SUL fur & sul fa SEE ta mide)
U.S. Brand Names
AVAR™ [DSC]; AVAR™-e; AVAR™-e Green [DSC]; Clarifoam™ EF; Clenia™; Plexion SCT®; Plexion TS® [DSC]; Plexion®; Prascion®; Prascion® AV [DSC]; Prascion® FC; Prascion® RA; Prascion® TS [DSC]; Rosac®; Rosanil®; Rosula®; Rosula® Clarifying; Sulfacet-R®; Sulfatol®; Sulfatol®-M; Sumaxin™; Suphera™ [DSC]
Canadian Brand Names
Acne Products; Antibiotic, Sulfonamide Derivative; Antiseborrheic Agent, Topical; Topical Skin Product, Acne
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to sulfur, sulfacetamide, or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have a sulfonamide ("sulfa") allergy, talk with healthcare provider.
• If you have kidney disease.
How does it work?
• Sulfur works to soften and shed unwanted skin.
• Sulfacetamide works to injure the bacteria and fight the infection.
How is it best taken?
• Do not take this medicine by mouth. For skin only. Keep out of mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
• Wash hands before and after use.
• If peeling occurs decrease the number of applications.
• Use to cleanse affected skin once or twice daily or as directed.
• Wet with water before use.
• Lather well and rinse.
Cream, gel, lotion or topical suspension:
• Clean affected area before use. Make sure to dry well.
• Shake lotion and suspension well before use.
• Apply a thin layer to the affected area and rub in gently.
• Plexion SCT® and Suphera™: Allow skin to dry, rinse well, and pat dry.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Apply a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not apply a double dose or extra doses.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from heat.
• Sulfacet-R®: Throw away any unused portion after 4 months.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2005-04-07 17:20:18.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:18:10.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.