I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Valproic Acid||0 people have prescribed Valproic Acid|
(val PROE ik AS id)
U.S. Brand Names
Depacon®; Depakene®; Stavzor™
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Valproic®; Depakene®; Epival® I.V.; Mylan-Valproic; PHL-Valproic Acid; PHL-Valproic Acid E.C.; PMS-Valproic Acid; PMS-Valproic Acid E.C.; ratio-Valproic; ratio-Valproic ECC; Rhoxal-valproic; Sandoz-Valproic
Anticonvulsant, Miscellaneous; Antimanic Agent; Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine may cause liver problems. Call healthcare provider if you notice dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, nausea, vomiting, or yellowing of the skin or eyes. Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant. This medicine may irritate the pancreas (pancreatitis). This could occur in children or adults at any time during treatment. Signs of pancreatitis include belly pain, nausea, vomiting, or decreased appetite. Contact healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to valproic acid or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have liver disease.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
• If you are breast-feeding.
How does it work?
• Valproic acid helps clear thinking.
• It increases the amount of a chemical called gamma-aminobutyric in the brain. This chemical decreases excitability of the brain.
• It is a mood stabilizer.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Swallow capsule whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• Take this medicine with a full glass of water.
• A liquid (syrup) is available if you cannot swallow pills.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given. Do not mix with carbonated drinks.
• Drink plenty of noncaffeine-containing liquid unless told to drink less liquid by healthcare provider.
• This medicine is given as a shot into a vein.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. This could cause seizures. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood work (liver function). Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect capsules from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• The injection will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2009-12-27 11:55:11.0
Modified: 2010-04-07 10:11:19.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.