I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Warfarin||0 people have prescribed Warfarin|
(WAR far in)
U.S. Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Warfarin®; Coumadin®; Mylan-Warfarin; Novo-Warfarin; Taro-Warfarin
Mexican Brand Names
Anticoagulant, Coumarin Derivative; Vitamin K Antagonist
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine may cause severe bleeding. Follow directions for use exactly. Closely review the section in this leaflet which lists when to call healthcare provider.
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
• Please read the medication guide.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to warfarin or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Anesthesia given in your spine, aneurysm, bleeding problems, diverticulitis, drink alcohol to excess, heart valve infection, liver disease, low platelet count, pericarditis, polyarthritis, poor nutrition, recent surgery of the eye or brain, uncontrolled high blood pressure, unsteadiness, or warfarin-induced necrosis.
• If you know that you will not take the medicine as directed.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
How does it work?
• Warfarin changes the body's clotting system. It thins the blood to prevent clots from forming.
How is it best taken?
• Use prescription as directed, even if feeling better.
• Take this medicine at a similar time of day.
• To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Keep vitamin K intake similar from day to day. Talk with nutritionist. Do not make changes in your normal diet. Take limited quantities of green, leafy vegetables (alfalfa, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, collard greens, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, spinach, water cress), green tea, liver, and some vegetable oils. Foods such as these can decrease the effects of warfarin.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Signs or symptoms of bleeding.
• Check blood work (prothrombin time/INR). Talk with healthcare provider.
• Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 16:19:09.0
Modified: 2010-05-10 08:40:31.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.